Tuesday 20 October 2009

Accents and actions ek se...

The piece of planet I have landed on is full of other aliens also from the southernmost tip of the galaxy and I have no difficulty identifying them. Although they look the same as the natives, the moment they open their mouths I am able to sagely nod my head and mutter “newcomer” under my breath.

While travelling on the supersonic underground transportation pods (not present on their home planet), they speak too loudly and appear vulgar, even crass. They smile and laugh too easily, causing the natives to frown and purse their lips. They seem arrogant and are insensitive enough to actually speak to other members of the public also using these hot and crowded means of transportation.

Perhaps it is the novelty of rushing like some burrowing insect from the Planet Colioptra down the winding and unfamiliar supersonic underground transportation pod access tunnels, that has made these aliens behave in a socially unacceptable manner, but nonetheless I cringe quietly and make a mental note to remain quiet, obey the rules and somehow disguise my guttural accent so as not to offend anyone, because I have realised fairly rapidly that not all the natives are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment