Thursday 22 October 2009

The rant continues...

Part of fitting in as an Interplanetary Wayfarer means turning your back on what you left behind. You may have had a large dwelling with twenty four boudoirs, a study, a pool, a driveway with actual parking space, a huge estate, an obedient lackey and any number of subservient minions, but you’re not going to have that here…not unless you are lucky enough to be loaded. Dwellings are small, gardens are smaller, the New Planet is tiny and bulging at the seams. Space is at a premium and you may feel decidedly cramped for a long time.

The stark fact of cross galaxy migration is this; fitting in requires effort and compromise, mainly from me. They know how things work and if I don’t, I’d better find out quickly, as ignorance is not considered a defence. If I don’t know, I should ask. This though, raises another problem. I have discovered to my chagrin and some annoyance that asking too many questions makes me look incompetent, so it is vital that I quickly learn the art of observation.

I begin to observe everyone (in a non-stalker way of course) and take on board how they do things, say things and operate. Watching people is an essential skill in surviving the cross galaxy migration process, and I continue to do so every day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Britbok you sound very intersting. I am also originally from SA. This weekend I made some biltong. Its my 3rd attempt and its getting better. But soon I can chew the fat and think of some of the things I miss. But I have settled now and I hope you are still enjoying the journey. Possibly you dont eat biltong being from another galaxy but i am half earthling and half terrestial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, even though I am from another galaxy, I too eat the dried salted animal flesh, something I particularly enjoy when the lions of the New Planet are trying in vain to stop the stampeding herds from the Southernmost Colony. However, at this stage of my journey I do find my loyalties somewhat divided...it is most good indeed to connect with another traveller!

    ReplyDelete